Monday, December 29, 2014

Research, research, research.....

As 2014 comes to a close, I have been busy preparing for my little one to arrive within the next 6 months. It seems totally insane that this time next year I will be picking bits of wrapping paper out of my couch and chasing after the tornado of smiles and toys that is my soon-to-be four year old daughter. :)
So how have I been preparing? Just as any mother would, I have become an information junkie on the following topics:

  • Adoption from China from the perspective of the Birth Mother (Currently reading Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love. Amazing, enlightening, and gut-wrenching all wrapped into an eloquent account of the reality of having to give up a child.)
  • How to prepare my extended family and friends for the new arrival (Waiting to start the book: In on It:What Adoptive Parents Would Like You To Know About Adoption. A Guide for Relatives and Friends. I have heard good things about this one- I will get back to you on this as to its actual helpfulness...)
  • Adoption fundraising options. Personally, this is a very sensitive subject and I am treading lightly, but even so, the generosity and support of my friends and family has been overwhelming. This is an AMAZING site by Ami over at Walking by the Way:
  • Possible hotel locations in Taiyuan and Guangzhou to estimate travel costs. Any suggestions would be amazing!
I am hopeful that everyone reading this will have a Happy and Healthy New Year. I am thankful for all I have learned in 2014 and look forward to the lessons of 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment